[Spacecadets] Meeting minutes

drew at hardcorp.io drew at hardcorp.io
Mon Mar 6 16:12:44 PST 2017

> I can
> tell you that as soon as the SpaceCadets proposed & Board approved
> that the only rentable spaces were in the Annex, talk started that the
> worktables & what not in the east attic would have to come out.

Thank you for telling me. This is the first time I've heard that you
decided it last spring. I never heard anybody claim until this year,
even orally, that using the east attic was forbidden. Raphael, Craig,
and Sherie obviously hadn't heard it, either; otherwise, they wouldn't
have used the attic.

The problem in this case is as I've already said: opacity of governance.
It's the same problem the board had in another case last summer (the
bogus accusation against me of harassment), at the conclusion of which
the board explicitly voted against transparency, indicating failure to
learn the lesson.

I'll accept your word that the board made a secret rule last spring
forbidding use of the east attic. Or if what you mean instead is that
the board made a secret rule long before that, I'll believe that too.

What I won't accept is any claim that secret rules are valid. Quelab
members are not bound by them. There's no legitimate governing body,
great or small, that tries to enforce secret rules. Federal regulations
are nullified if they fail to be printed in the Federal Register, and
the same idea applies at all other levels. And individual officers or
board members don't get to dig up ancient secret rules and foist them on
us, especially without board approval.

The board has a very simple means of accomplishing your goal: make a
rule, announce it on the members' mailing list, and notify anybody else
affected, with advance notice before it goes into effect. I won't like
the rule, but I'll nonetheless be obliged to abide by it. Rather than
fighting so hard to govern the wrong way, why not simply govern the
right way?