[QUELAB CNC] Status of the shapeoko,

John Benedetto john.benedetto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:16:58 PST 2015

We have a Shapeoko 2.

Here are some links with pics to show the difference:
version 1 -
http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Assembly_overview_%28SO1%29
Version 2 - http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ShapeOko_2

Andres email me privately last night that he HAS purchased the X-Carve
upgrade kit.  This is basically a Z-Axis upgrade kit. As I understand it,
the X-Carve is basically the Shapeoko 2 with the improved Z Axis, wire
management comes built in, along with a  few other misc. things.

As part of the Black Friday sales, the upgrade kit was $100 off; this
results in a 50% discount on the normal $200 price!  In addition, orders
over $100 get a $50 gift card, so he is planning on buying the Bosch Colt
router mount with the gift card, once he has it.

Frankly, a router will be more powerful than a dremel or even the DC
spindle. The DC spindle gets points for being quieter than a router!
Because of this, I am pushing forward with using the Bosch Colt Router that
John A. bought (even though it won't really do steel like he hoped).  I
hope we can use the 'extra' DC spindle Troy has in his possession to
'eventually' upgrade the Blue CNC machine.

As for point of contact on the project, I am taking charge of it.

JT