[Spacecadets] Fwd: Response from Board of Directors

John Benedetto john.benedetto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:28:28 PDT 2016

Here is the thread from last April, regarding the Space Cadets Proposal &
the Board's response

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Response from Board of Directors
------------------------

From: Chris Hughes <chris at speedycomputing.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:55 PM
To: spacecadets at quelab.net, QueLab Hackerspace <board at quelab.net>

Dear Space Cadets,

The Board of Directors considered your proposals at its last meeting and
has come up with responses. The Board voted to approve your proposal
regarding the change in structure of the Space Cadets, modified as follows:

The following recommendations have been agreed upon by the members of the
Space Cadets Task Force and are being proposed for formal implementation by
the Quelab Board of Directors.

1. We propose the organizational structure of the group be changed from a
task force to a committee.  We propose the group's name henceforth change
from the Space Cadets Task Force to the Space Cadets standing Committee.
2. We propose that the Space Cadets Committee be assigned an expanded
mission* with the purpose of proposing and considering all matters related
to Quelab space organization, assignments, definitions, and purpose. The
result of the committee's work will be proposals to the board of directors
on how considered space should be used.
3. We propose that all proposals be submitted to the board of directors by
the Space Cadet Committee. If a proposal is denied an explanation will be
provided by the board.
4. We propose that all area captains and the facilities manager be
automatic members of the committee. Up to three additional at-large members
may volunteer to be on the Committee on an annual basis, renewing on May
1st. In the event that more than three members volunteer, three will be
chosen by drawing from lots or other random selection. The committee shall
elect a committee chair to serve a one-year term. As laid out in Quelab's
bylaws, the committee will have a quorum of 60%, and will need to make
decisions using consensus.

The above response is based on how your proposal was structured and we need
to make sure that it also reflects the nature of a Quelab Committee as it
exists within our Bylaws. So following is our response that reflects the
bylaws we work under.

> Ratified at the 20 April 2016 Board Meeting.

Upon the advice of the Space Cadets Task-Force, the Directors of Quelab
> have directed that a Committee be created to adjudicate the organization
> and purpose of the space within Quelab.  The Committee shall be a standing
> committee within the community, abiding by the Bylaws of Quelab (Article
> 6).

> The Space Cadets Committee (who are allowed to change their name, if
> desired) shall be tasked with considering all matters related to Quelab
> space organization, room assignments, and definitions. All area captains
> and the facilities manager will be automatic members of this committee. Up
> to three additional at-large members may volunteer to join for an annual
> term, renewing on May 1st. In the event that more than three members
> volunteer, the secretary of the corporation shall assign each applicant to
> a numbered group and shall make a chance selection between or among the
> numbered groups (by selecting among other lots or by some other chance
> selection procedure). The committee shall elect a committee chair to serve
> a one-year term from among their number.
> (Addendum)
> Per the Quelab bylaws, Committees are advisory in nature only; they do not
> set policy, they advise the directors on decisions which should be made.
> The officers who are members of the committee are empowered by their office
> to make changes to their respective area, and the hope is that most items
> will not need input from the directors.  Committees are required to follow
> the bylaw sections regarding scheduling and publication of the meeting
> dates and have a quorum requirement of 60% of members in attendance for a
> meeting to be valid.

The Board also considered the proposal regarding the Annex Space. The Board
approved $1.50 per square foot as the rental rate for space, to be
reconsidered in 1 year. For the rest of the proposal the Board would like
more information before considering it further:

-A rough floor plan of the space to be available for rent

-A list of Members believed to be interested in renting

-A proposal for how much storage space should be made available for free
with a membership to Quelab

-A proposal for what type of space members could rent, purely for storage,
in addition to the space included in their membership.

And to be consistent here is how it will sit in the records:

The first task which the board has set for this newly-constituted Space
> Cadets regards rental area for the Annex.  The Directors approved the $1.50
> per square foot as the rental rate for space, which will be reconsidered in
> 1 year.
> For the rest of the proposal the Board would like more information before
> making a final decision:
> -A rough floor plan of the space to be available for rent
> -A list of Members believed to be interested in renting
> -A proposal for how much storage space should be made available for free
> with a membership to Quelab
> -A proposal for what type of space members could rent, purely for storage,
> in addition to the space included in their membership.

Further information or any questions can be brought to the board at the
meeting scheduled for May 11th, or via email. The board can make a decision
via email if needed.

Sincerely,
Quelab Board of Directors
Chris Hughes, Secretary