[Spacecadets] Spacecadets "mission"

john banfill john.banfill at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 08:38:37 PDT 2016

At the time of the original meeting of space cadets and viewing the annex with the real estate agent, Shelly Branscom, we were under the impression that the cost of the annex would be an additional expense to Quelab.  Subsequently we have heard from the lease negotiators that this may not be the case when the lease is renegotiated.  I think it would be helpful for developing suggestions about the space if there could be some clarifications on the probable cost and affordability of having the annex for use by all the members of the quelab.
My personal belief is that subletting space may lead to all kinds of problems.  There would probably need to be a rental agent deciding who could rent spaces, and how much to charge.  Liability for subleased spaces needs to be considered.  What activities are allowed in the leased space needs to be approved (e.g. fiberglass fabrication, chemistry of fluorine reactions, genetic engineering, virtual reality porn).
Great progress has been made over the last couple of months in cleaning up the area and converting the space to areas that can be used.  I don't know everyone that has been involved so I won't try and name them all.  I think if we could get the donations junkyard under control we would have a facility that all members could make use of and be proud of and that would not scare off potential new members who don't want to work in a junk yard.  I believe the potential increase in new users would more than pay for any additional cost of the annex.