[MachineShop] MachineShop

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:39:37 PST 2018

I going to make a few announcements here about the Machine Shop.

I'm the current Machine Shop Captain.

1) Office hours. I'm going to start to keep "office hours" in the
MachineShop. As a start it will be 7pm to 9pm every Sunday starting January
30th. If there is more interest I will expand the hours, move to a
different time of day, different day, etc.

2) Training. I'm restarting training for the MachineShop. Currently I can
offer training on the milling machine. I'm going to use Erics teaching
plan, which involves making a part to specified dimensions. I can train
three people consecutively. I currently only have three blanks available.
Email me to schedule. Let me know your interest in machining, your project
if any and any tentative relevant technical experience you have. I want to
start training before my "office hours," so first session would be January
30th. We'll figure out the time. If you desire training on the Lathe, for
now that is up to the availability of secondary trainers.

3) Recency. If you want to use the machinery in the machine shop and have
not used the machines within 6 months since you have been certified I
*recommend* that you reach out to me so I can give you a refresher or spot
you. On the other hand if it has been *more than a year* since you have
been certified to use the machines (Mill or Lathe) and you have *not used
them at all* you are *decertified*. *I'm making this a requirement*.
Remember, this applies specifically to those who have been certified but
have not made anything at all (on the Mill or Lathe). The premise here is
that the certification on the machinery is really only meant to kick start
your training, and like most things practice makes you better - but if you
have not used the machines since your certification then you have pretty
much forgotten everything. You need to reach out to me for a refresh to be
recertified. This is in the interest of safety. If there is more interest
in this I can set up a safety refresh course for members.

4) MachineShop List. I make announcements, policy updates and scheduling
about the Machine Shop to the MachineShop List. If you have interest, join.
If you have questions, email the list.

Thanks
Denis Muradov