[Spacecadets] Rearranging at Quelab

John Benedetto john.benedetto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:08:07 PST 2016

Officers & Space Cadets:

Found today that the entire contents of the donation zone had been pushed
into the Annex and plopped down willy nilly across the north wall:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/abqjohn/25396810692/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/abqjohn/25489201096/in/datetaken-public/

By the MASTS roll up door is now (apparently) the welding zone:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/abqjohn/25422524581/in/datetaken-public/

While the welding area is supposed to be the fenced in area, right now it's
full of Kurt's Camera Corral krap (though I heard Darrrel say he was hoping
to have a moving party this weekend to empty the fenced in area, before the
stuff got rained on).

And then, all the brewing stuff from the 2nd floor, along with the
fermentation fridge from MASTS, is now by the slop sink in the annex:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/abqjohn/25489216666/in/datetaken-public/

There is also a 12' long or so storage cabinet/bench from Kurt's that got
moved into the tool room, right where Darrel had proposed putting it
(sorry, didn't get a picture of that one)

I know Do-ocracy is the cornerstone of Quelab, and "if it can be UNdone in
less than four hours, go ahead and do it", but I kind of wanted to ask that
it all be put back. I also didn't feel I had the power to ask that. Well,
except for the tool room bench.  I agree with that one.

I also know that because I have a Board of Director's hat now that I need
to tread lightly - that hat doesn't grant me extra special powers to
override members' decisions.

Now with a little time to process it, I can see where the brewing stuff in
roughly the area it is in, could be a good idea.  Having it hidden away
contributes at least in part to it not being used.  Nearness to a sink can
be a good thing, but we need some storage brought in or built to house all
the pieces.  Of course, counterpoint is that this area is where Geoff
proposed a tee shirt printing press live.

The donation zone being moved... just... it just... I can't put into words
what I am feeling about it.  However, I can also see WHY someone moved it,
since Darren & I haven't been able to make significant progress on reducing
the backlog.  However, this is not dealing with the problem, only moving
it... it all STILL needs processed & dealt with, and any semblance of order
we had is now lost.

We have groups working to determine the disposition or, and rental of the
new Annex space, and I feel these moves cross responsibilities, and maybe
should be undone (or perhaps ratified by said groups?).

Anyway, for those of you that have read this far, I just wanted to make you
all aware of these (I think) drastic changes..

JT