[Spacecadets] Sublet Proposals

Geoff Nicholson Demonsthenes at meme-complex.com
Wed Feb 3 13:52:13 PST 2016

Greetings Space Cadets!

I've been going over the old spacecadets discussions, based on the
proposals brought to the directors from the original run (back when we
moved in and had to clean up all the fake blood).  I'd like to distill what
we think is good and what we think is bad from these, and come up with
usage policies that will help us afford the new space we're hoping to rent
out.

Back then the sublet proposals were for $2/sqft for areas not on the ground
floor (Fortress of Solitude and where MMF is currently renting) and 'more'
for space on the ground floor.  More was never determined, but was assumed
to be a dollar or so more per square-foot.  Additionally, Rooms 1 and 7
were optioned for member rental as they had the best opportunities for
security (only one or two doors to be locked... and #1 has the external
door for... purposes).

To be eligible for member rental, the members in question would have to be
auto-paying members who had been in good standing (ie paid on time) for a
few months (the last draft was 6mo), or pay-in-advance members who were
paid up for a couple months.

There have been calls to release more rooms in the main campus for member
rental at or below $2/sqft.  There have been requests for bench rental
(exclusive use) and there have been requests for storage above and beyond
your 36-gal plastic tub.

To address those requests, here's my suggestion for the structure of the
storage rental.  Right now, I'm leaning towards keeping the $2/sqft number
in the new storage area (so renting a 3x4 bench would cost $24/mo, and
renting a 2x4 spot to store your plywood would cost $16/mo).  I haven't
measured all the rooms that people are interested in renting in either of
the areas, so I don't know if $2/sqft is a reasonable price.  We've made it
such that you can't rent the Core for more than a day or two (event), so
our concern about people taking up all the floor space for a month in the
largest room in the space is no longer a concern.

Here's this in more legalese.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hT7GxRCGHB5We5gZr7FTjQRc7kU0PgxS-u1QNmEqj4M/edit?usp=sharing

Thoughts?

-- geoff