[Spacecadets] Space Cadets Committee Reorganization Meeting.

Christopher A W Zapotocky czapo at unm.edu
Fri Apr 29 19:43:02 PDT 2016

I am writing assuming each of you have read the board's response to our proposal. There are a few things I wanted to cover (perhaps a skeleton for an agenda) for our next meeting.

-It appears that the committee will need to be somewhat smaller with only three at-large members involved. It would be nice to know who intends to continue on the committee and who does not so we can narrow down that number before the next committee meeting (I am still interested in being on the committee).

-I am not sure what the status of board members and officers on the committee will be. I am assuming that via the proposal they would be considered at-large members since they are not by definition contained in the other group (except for Gonner).

-I sent a question to the board, as I did provide a definition in the Annex space proposal on the space to be rented. They would like clarification on that (a map).

-Somehow I neglected to request in the proposal that the Asset Disposition Manager should be on the committee...since the donation zone takes up a sizable amount of space (even in its original size designation) it seems fitting that Darren would be included on the committee. What do you think?

-It would be nice if the committee had a rotating board like the US Federal reserve. That is we have non-voting members of the committee that are rotated in yearly (I will let you google that if you are unfamiliar of the structure). This avoids having random set of members at each committee meeting...although that might be the board intent to provide more flavored feedback for the committee. Note that in my suggested structure, the pool of members could talk at meetings and stay up-to-date on committee business (receive meeting minutes), but they would not be able to vote on committee business. They may also not be able to nominate, motion, or second proposals although that is a gray area (look up nonvoting members of congress as a second group to look at).

-I assume that the board would like an up-to-date list of members interested. The list in the meeting minutes simply needs the Drew/Anders shared table appended to it (I think it is Drew's table and Anders is using it...if that makes sense). Darrel I think had two others interested with his mass email.

-We had originally avoided the specific amount of space a member can have free because it was outside the scope of the committee...The board feels it is now in our scope for a recommendation. I recommend the tote plus one project at any one time. We still have ample space for more totes (see the second clear shelving unit in the hallway between the Annex and the Metal shop) so there is no reason to increase that. I also feel that one project at a time at Quelab is more than sufficient...assuming there is not abuse of this (lets say 5 project tagged under a member) we can allow for flexible enforcement of the rule.

-And now for the nuclear question...what to do about those who have designated space for themselves outside the rent-able space (Zoot, and Drew possibly Sherie although Sherie I think has relegated her activities to Hyperspace now that Drew has moved out) because I am sure at some point there will be hard feelings that someone is paying $26 dollars a month, but Zoot, and Drew have have dedicated tables they use elsewhere without paying. I am just pointing this out in advance...because I know it will come up at some point. Yes I know Sherie is on the committee and Drew I think is too (he was at the meetings at least). Don't kill the messenger.

-The point above (the nuclear question) is listed last because it is at the heart of the last two questions the board proposed to us. Mainly what type of space to rent as well as how much is available for free.

-It appears the board will not has not made a decision on a rental officer. Although one was not included in the committee structure. That said, the position does not exist yet.

When shall we have the next meeting? I would prefer on or after May 11 since that is my last final and it is Dead/Finals week for me the next two weeks, but I am not the only person on the committee and the board is meeting on the 11th. So that is a bit of a conundrum (for me at least). Maybe we could meet before the board meeting on that day and just get all these questions hammered out then? Also I could meet Sunday before the community meeting if people would like to hammer this out then. Other thoughts on days?

Is that a decent agenda? Anyone else have anything to add?

Christopher Zapotocky