[MachineShop] Machine shop

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:07:52 PST 2021

A new plug has been ordered for the mill, and it should be replaced soon.

Can you provide more details on your project? Something that thin is
difficult to machine due to chatter. At one point I tried cutting a round
hole into 0.04 inch in mild steel myself and I had to use a jigsaw instead
because of chatter. It's possible to mill, but you'd have to build it up
carefully by adding reinforcement layers to keep it from vibrating. That's
at least one way I can think of. It's going to require some trial and and a
lot of error.

A few notes about the shop: 1) The training we do is on aluminum. There are
cutters available for you to use but they are rated for aluminum use only.
You will be tested on how you operate cutting aluminum, in a safe manner.
For cutting steel, this is something you will have to learn on your own
afterwards through practice, reading, etc. For cutting anything harder than
aluminum you need to use their own cutters, this is due to the unforgiving
nature of steel on mistakes. You can ruin a cutting bit on steel in less
than a second. 2) Last, the shop has a two man rule for operating the
milling machine and lathe, this means that someone must be present in the
same space you are in order to contact emergency services if you have an
accident. Acceptable locations are the machine shop, wood shop and welding
shop only. They need no training to do this, but they must be able to hear
you.