[MachineShop] Machine shop use policy ideas

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:40:52 PST 2018

I do not know when this happened since I was out of town. There is a
grinder in the welding shop and it does work. I do not have a problem with
the jet band saw.

It is a good idea to teach people about feed speed. Also waxing the blade
beforehand. The concept of TPI, etc. I will make another sign for the shop.

My main gripe is the grinder

On Nov 10, 2018 7:27 AM, "John Benedetto" <john.benedetto at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM Denis Muradov via Machineshop <
machineshop at quelab.net> wrote:

> They had no introduction to the machine shop. They used the machinery that
> was approved by Eric for single operator use. As far as I know (unless I
> look at the security footage) they violated the following rules: 1) making
> a mess 2) cutting things on the grinder that they should not have (like
> aluminum) or cutting things on the band saw that they should not have (like
> steel).

There's another grinder, that Celeste brought in for Gonner, that should
have no restrictions on its' use. Not sure where it ended up (I thought in
the welding area). It's an old craftsman, I think.  In addition, Alexis
asked me & Darren if we were trained to use the machine shop bandsaw, and
we both said no. I told her she could cut aluminum on the wood use shop saw
(while I don't know Gonner's opinion, this is a standard practice, and
recommended by many, not just me), and Darren brought up the abrasive wheel
metal chop saw in the welding area.  I showed her how to use the abrasive
chop saw & she did do some cutting of stuff she was about to melt.  Do you
recall when she made the mess with the machine shop bandsaw?  I think we
talked with her Wednesday afternoon.