[MachineShop] Machine shop use policy ideas

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:26:25 PST 2018

They had no introduction to the machine shop. They used the machinery that
was approved by Eric for single operator use. As far as I know (unless I
look at the security footage) they violated the following rules: 1) making
a mess 2) cutting things on the grinder that they should not have (like
aluminum) or cutting things on the band saw that they should not have (like
steel).

I would put an additional lock on the grinder so that the people who
already had the combination set out by Eric could use it. The middle ground
would be the one most effected. Those that use the machine shop but are not
yet checked out on the mill and lathe machines. It would mean that none of
them could use the grinder since the combination is shared with the other
machinery, unless they got checked out on the lathe or the mill. To me this
is justifiable conceptually since there is little reason to use that
grinder  unless you already been trained on the lathe or the mill. I think
this is a benefit since it allows for a dialogue on how things work, which
improves safety and machine life.