[MachineShop] Machine shop use policy ideas

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:04:11 PST 2018

When I got to the machine shop today it looked like someone was in the
middle of a project. There was no one on site so I just cleaned it up. It
took me about 30 minutes. They were cutting stuff on the sherline lathe,
the band saw and the tool grinder. There were parts everywhere. The most
time consuming mess was around the grinder.

To me this is a pretty obvious example of bad behavior. I was told who it
was. I’m not sure if a suspension from using the machine shop for a set
time period would be appropriate. They are not certified on the lathe and
mill and have been members for a couple of months.

I’m thinking the following. Option one. Since there is a grinder in the
welding shop already, and the mess generated by the machine shop grinder
gets everywhere (especially on the tools) and is hard to clean I think it
should be locked up. If I do not hear from anyone this is what I will do. I
will put a lock on the cord much like the locks on the mill or the lathe
(I'm assuming this is possible). This means that if people are not
qualified on the lathe and mill they cannot use the grinder – but since it
is for sharpening tooling they should not need to. Option two. Put a lock
on the grinder and the jet band saw. Option three. Put a lock on all corded
machinery in the machine shop. This could also be done with a different
combination than the lathe or mill. The idea with option three is really to
get anyone new to go through basic machine shop orientation, such as safety
and etc, rather than make it a pain to use the machine shop. It's one way
to get new people to take safety seriously, with maybe a potential side
benefit of the place being slightly cleaner. That, or something else. I’m
open to ideas.

Thanks