[MachineShop] Shop updates

Denis Muradov denis.muradov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:13:12 PST 2018

1) At one point the taps went missing and we thought that someone stole
them. Turns out they were borrowed. In the future if you guys borrow tools
from the machine shop you need to email this list to let the other members
know that the tools have been borrowed and for how long. In my case I had a
project that I wanted to do right before leaving, and couldn't. I managed.
But another member was actually under the impression that the taps were
missing for months because he could never find the ones he needed.

2) It was pointed out to me that the white Jet band saw pulley wheel from
the motor has a creative key lock solution. A screw. If anyone knows where
I can get a 0.2 x 0.2 inch (5mm x 5mm) stock to use as a pulley key, let me
know. Steel preferred. I see some kits on Amazon for $20, but I was hoping
for something cheap.

3) When cutting metal on the white Jet band saw remember to use the grease
beforehand and control your feed speed. The TPI on the blade is meant for a
certain size stock so if you go outside of that you need slow down your
feed speed to compensate. The speed of the blade is also not optimal
either. I know from myself that when I cut stock months ago I ended up
getting the aluminum so hot I could not even hold it anymore. Basically,
don't force the material in to the blade.

4) I was doing some plunge cuts with the bigger mill bits (7/8 etc) when I
noticed that they were dull. I do not know when this happened. Remember,
the bits are for "soft" metal only (aluminum, brass, etc). The ends of the
bits are pretty much ruined. The fact that it happened to more than one of
them is disappointing. To me that's negligence. These bits were bought by
Eric and the bigger bits can be rather expensive. I have no plans to have
them replaced.

5) I am planning to address the broken borring bar and the two missing
borring bars. I have not ordered anything yet. I'm planning to take care of
it though.

If you guys have any ideas, suggestions, tips, observations, etc, about
anything pertinent to the machine shop: send an email!

Thanks